I. LÂM ĐỒNG PROVINCE OVERVIEW.
Location: Lâm Đồng is a South Central Highland province.
Altitude: from 300 - 1500m above sea level.
Climate: Influenced by the tropical monsoon, there are 2 seasons (the rainy season is from May through November, and the dry season from December through April the following year). Average temperature ranges from 18-25oC. Humidity: 85-87%.
Area: 9,773.54 sqkm
Administrative units: 10 districts and 2 cities.
Economic administrative and tourism center: Đà Lạt city.
Boundary: The South - Southeast borders Binh Thuan province, the East borders Khanh Hoa - Ninh Thuan, the North borders Dak Lak - Dak Nong province, the Southwest borders Dong Nai province - Binh Phuoc.
Road: Lâm Đồng has national & provincial roads connecting the South Central regions, Southeast and Central Highlands provinces.
- National road 20: to Biên Hòa 220km, Hồ Chí Minh city 320km, Nha Trang 140km, Phan Rang Tháp Chàm 110km.
- National road 27: To Buôn Ma Thuột 210km, Phan Rang Tháp Chàm 125km.
- National road 28: to Gia Nghĩa town180km, Phan Thiết 220km.
- National road 55: to Phan Thiết 200km.
- Provincial roads 721,722,723,724,725
- Transportation of merchandise via road from Đà Lạt to Cam Ranh port- Khánh Hòa about100km; to Tân Cảng- Cái Mép port about 300km.
Air transport: Liên Khương International ASirport, 30 km from Đà Lạt to the south.
- Đà Lạt - Hà Nội – Đà Lạt : Viet Nam Airlines, Jetstar, Vietjet, Bamboo: hàng ngày
- Đà Lạt - Tp. HCM- Đà Lạt : Viet Nam Airlines, Jetstar, Vietjet: daily
- Đà Lạt - Đà Nẵng : Viet Nam Airlines: daily at 10h40' - 11h50
Đà Nẵng - Đà Lạt : Viet Nam Airlines: dsily at 8h45' - 10h00
- Đà Lạt - Huế: Jetstar: Wednesday, Friday, Sunday, weekly at 10h05 - 11h15
Huế - Đà Lạt: Jetstar: Wednesday, Friday, Sunday, weekly at 8h25 - 9h30
- Đà Lạt - Vinh: Vietjet: hàng ngày lúc 11h30 - 13h05
Vinh - Đà Lạt: Vietjet: hàng ngày lúc 9h20 - 10h55
- Đà Lạt - Hải Phòng: Vietjet: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday, weekly at 13h15-15h00.
Hải Phòng - Đà Lạt : Vietjet: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday, weekly at 11h00 - 12h45
- Đà Lạt - Cần Thơ: Vietjet: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday : 13h20 - 14h05
Cần Thơ - Đà Lạt: Vietjet: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday: 12h05 -12h50
- Đà Lạt - Bangkok: Vietjet: daily at 13h35 - 15h20
Bangkok - Đà Lạt: Vietjet: daily at 11h10 - 12h55.
- Đà Lạt –Korea (Seoul) Vietjet: Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday at 17h00 - 12h00 (VN time)
- Korea - Đà Lạt : Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday at 2h30 - 5h30 (Korea time)
- Flight from Đà Lạt to Malaysia exploited by Air Asia but not frequent..
3. Economic & business development and investment attractiveness (2019)
Socio-economic development (Source: Lâm Đồng People’s Committee)
- Economic growth (GRDP) 8.5%.
- GRDP per capita 66.7 million đồng (2.858USD/person/year).
- Economic structure: Agriculture forestry seafood 44.4%; Industry – Construction 17.9%; Services 37.7%.
- Total budget revenue within the province 8,298 billion đồng (356 million USD)
- Total export revenue about 720 million USD.
- Tourist arrivals: in 2019: 7,160,000, of which international tourists accounting for 533,000.
- Population: 1,326,000 people; natural population growth rate 1.04%. Number of employed people 828,823 people; unemployment rate 0.69%. Trained employee rate 65%.
Business development and investment attraction
- As at 31/12/2019 Lâm Đồng has 8,981 businesses (In 2019 there are 1,133 newly-established businesses)
- Domestic investment: 853 projects, with registered capital of 115.8 thousand billion đồng (5.1 billion USD), quy mô diện tích sử dụng 67,300ha.
- Foreign Investment (FDI): 103 projects, with registered capital of 11.9 thousand billion (515.2 million USD), scale of land use area 2,329.9ha.
II. POTENTIAL AND STRENGTHS (as at 31/12/2019)
1. Tourism - Services (Source: Culture, Sports and Tourism Department)
Đà lạt city is a national and regional resort and tourism center, due to year round cool climatic conditions and a system of over 2,000 ancient mansions and buildings, of which is the Teachers’ Training College, ranked as top 1000 most unique architectural sites of the world in the 20th century, with 3 golf courses, 7 waterfalls being national scenic spots, and 7 large lakes surrounded by beautiful landscapes.
- Accommodations facilities and tourism businesses: there are 2,250 accommodations facilities with total 25,617 rooms, of which are 460 one- five star hotels with 12, 642 rooms, including 445 high-class hotels from 1-2 stars with 9,146 rooms; 35 three-five star hotels with 3,496 rooms.
- Tourists resorts & attractions: 35 tourist resorts & attractions, over 60 free tourist attractions and 33 agricultural tourist attractions.
- Tourism activities: there are 53 Travel – transport enterprises, of which 33 international travel agencies, 20 domestic travel & transport agencies.
2. Agriculture (Source: Lâm Đồng Statistics Bureau 12/2019)
- Total cultivated area: 384,033 ha, of which total area of high tech agricultural production 57.714 ha (accounting for 18.28% cultivated area).
Of which main plants:
+Vegetables of various types: 64,559 ha, crop output 2.19 million tons/year
+ Flowers: 8,634ha, crop output 2.9 billion cut flowers (high tech production area: 2,500 ha).
+ Tea: 11,113, crop output of fresh tea buds 134,583.6 tons/year.
+ Coffee: 175,663 ha, crop output 499,552.5 tons/year.
+ Cashew: 22,947ha; output 5,905.8 tons.
+ Rubber trees: 9,484 ha, output 5,906 tons.
+ Fruit trees: 24,747 ha, output over 180,000 tons
+ Mulberry: 8,485 ha, output 158,217 tons
Export markets include Japan, Singapore, Taiwan, Australia, Thailand, Belgium, The Netherlands, EU, the United States, China. Lâm Đồng also has other trees such as cashew, mulberry, cocoa, pepper, fruit trees, contributing to increase the value of agricultural production.
With an area of over 597,690 ha of forest land, Lâm Đồng has 2 national parks, Bidoup Núi bà national park occupying 700.38km2; Cát tiên national park 272.73sqkm. From July 2015, UNESCO recognized Langbian g biosphere zone as the world biosphere zone with total area of 275,439 ha.
Total volume of exploited forest products is 60.68 thousand m3.
- Animal husbandry:
+Buffalo14,596, meat output 1,208 tons
+Beef cattle 105,682, meat output 5,715 tons
+ Milk cow 21,713, milk output 86,270 tons
+Pig 416,356. meat output 76,756 tons
+Poultry 7.65 million
+Silkworm egg 270,744 boxes, cocoon output 10,830 tons
Lâm Đồng industry is developed by the industrial processing of agricultural, forestry and fishery production, fertilizer, electricity and gas production and distribution. In order to develop modern, centralized industry, Lâm đồng province continues to call for investment in 2 industrial parks, including: Lộc sơn industrial park of 183 ha, Phú hội industrial park of 109ha, Tân phú urban industrial park of316.8 ha and 6 industrial clusters with a scale of over 200ha.
Đà lạt is recognized as the Flower Festival city and the flower festival is organized every two years, additionally, the province also has other festivals such as the tea culture festival and the ethnic cultural festival.
Lâm đồng has 2 universities, 6 colleges, 5 middle schools and 39 vocational units, 3 chemical research institutes: Biological research institute, Pasteur institute and the nuclear research institute.
3. DEVELOPMENT ORIENTATION.
- Developing Đà lạt city to 2030, vision to 2050 following Decision 704/QĐ-TTG dated 12/5/2014 by the Prime Minister approving adjustment of Đà Lạt city plan with a scale from 393.28 sqkm to 3,359.3 sqkm.
Implementing the mechanism and specific policies of Da Lat development under Decision No. 1528 / QD-TTg dated September 3, 2015 by the Prime Minister in order tobuild Đà lạt city as a modern, environmentally – friendly city to meet the functional role of an urban ecological and natural landscape of national and international significance. Đà Lạt will become a national and international resort city, a scientific research, training and technological transfer center, a national and international trade center, agricultural production and biodiversity protection research center having an important role in national security defense.
Building Da Lat city and its vicinities according to the general planning and specific mechanisms and policies approved by the Prime Minister, striving to achieve the target of a city by 2020 and the basic vicinity directly under the Central Government, it is expected that by 2025 Da Lat city will basically become a smart and modern city of Vietnam.
- Developing Bảo Lộc city: into a 2nd grade industrial urban city.
- Developing Liên Nghĩa Town – Đức Trọng into a 3rd Grade urban city.
Tourism – Services:
Promoting climate, landscape and environment advantages to develop tourism into a dynamic economic sector; prioritizing the development of high quality eco-tourism, MICE tourism , agricultural tourism, establishing particular tourism products and tourism brands, building Da Lat and some localities into Ecotourism, luxury resorts, regional and international MICE facilities. Therefore, associating Lam Dong to the Central Western Highlands region, the South East region to form tourism development triangles.
Developing and promoting brands of agricultural products; products processed from agriculture and forestry materials; strengthening trade promotion to expand domestic and foreign markets.Continuing to attract investment in the development of trade centers, supermarkets and central markets to implement the program of developing rural market systems. Promoting exports, especially high-value commodities, advantageous commodities of the province as a driving force for growth.
- By land: Continue to look for fund resources to fully invest in transport infrastructure for tourism and socio-economic purposes, such as: upgrading national roads 27, 28, 55, Eastern trường sơn road, Lương sơn – Đại ninh road, investing in Dầu giây – Liên Khương Highway(Tân Phú – Bảo Lộc road section and Bảo Lộc – Liên Khương road section).
- Railroad: Restore the Đà lạt – Tháp chàm railroad line for merchandise exchange and tourism service to south and central provinces.
- Air route: Opening international air routes to some East Asian countries such as Japan, China; Southeast Asian countries such asSingapore; promoting to open domestic air routes to several major cities throughout the country.
Developing high tech agriculture and forestry and biotechnology in combination with preservation and processing after harvest; promoting the development of economic cooperative and affiliate types; prioritizing development of key crops of high economic value; having competitive advantage, effectively implementing the project of agricultural development in a multidisciplinary approach; attracting investors to flower trading centers, farm produce wholesale markets; attracting high-tech agricultural projects in combination with agriculture tourism; taking full advantage of opportunities of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), ASEAN Economic Community (AFC), Free Trade Agreement (FTA)… for sustainable agricultural development; building Da Lat city into a national and international high-tech agricultural production research center.
Developing provincial industry associated with the development orientation of the Central Highlands and surrounding areas. Priority should be given to the development of deep processing industries of agricultural products such as: tea, coffee, mulberry, dairy processing, classification and preservation of vegetables and flowers ... Calling for investment in the agricultural industrial parks and industrial clusters and zones in the province; developing small industries and handicrafts associated with development of services - tourism. Creating conditions for the development of supporting industries and industries serving rural agriculture, focusing on attracting projects of developing infrastructure of industrial parks and clusters for effective exploitation.
Comprehensively developing cultural and social areas: sticking to the fundamental and comprehensive innovation objectives and tasks of education and training; promoting the application of science and technology to production and life; promoting the leading national role of education and training, science and technology in the province's socio-economic development; building Lam Dong into a center for developing high-quality human resources of the Central Highlands; a multi-international and multi-disciplinary scientific research, training and technology transfer center; building Vietnamese culture and people in the locality, preserving and promoting the cultural identity of ethnic groups.
Attracting investment in the field of socialization in Lâm Đồng province for the period 2016-2020 (as per Decision No. 2343/QĐ-UBND dated 27/10/2016 issued by Lâm Đồng People’s Committee).
(TIPC Lâm Đồng)